28 September 2009

A Lesson in Poor Taste.

Coming to a store near you, from the coat-tails of her father's death, it's Bindi Irwin, with a brand new interactive experience! Ladies and Gentlemen, Ubisoft and Terri Irwin is proud to present:



Bindi Presents Big Ocean Adventures

The final boss is a stingray, and the scene plays out a little something like this:
RAY: Terri never told you what happened to your father.

BINDI: She told me enough! She told me you killed him!

DARTH RAY: NO. I AM YOUR FATHER!

BINDI: No. No! That's not true! That's impossible!!

DARTH RAY: Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

BINDI: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!


Okay, so that was in even poorer taste, but there's something unsettling to me about Bindi's child star status. It seems very forced, and her rise to fame pretty much coincided with her father's demise. It feels like the poor girl never took the time to grieve properly.

What unsettles me even more is Terri Irwin's business acumen and "go get 'em, Tiger!" attitude. Now that Steve's gone, she seems to have let loose in her unbridled fury. I mean, Steve Irwin himself never had his own videogame.

But hey, what the hell do I know? It could just be a cultural misunderstanding on my part, but the American "everyone's a winner, baby" spirit feels strangely at odds with the Australian "fair go"; and child stardom is the antithesis to our Tall Poppy Syndrome.

If it grows too tall, then it's time to cut it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment